Ski Resorts News
Chamrousse, the quaint ski village famous for its role in the 1968 Winter Olympics which took place in Grenoble is set for a complete revamp. In conjunction with Aktis Architecture, Chamrousse will take a huge step forward into the future with a long-term plan to become France’s first full ‘Smart Station’.
Whilst we have seen similar plans in resorts such as Avoriaz and La Clusaz, Chamrousse is completely challenging perceptions of what a ski resort is. Rather than focusing only on winter sports, the new plans which have been unveiled reveal a ski village for all seasons and all occasions. Set to be completed in 2030, by diversifying the type of tourism they offer, they can secure the future of their village in a time some small ski resorts are failing to thrive.
Over the next 13 years the village, along with Aktis Architecture and some of Grenoble’s most innovative companies will do the following:
- Create Schools of Higher Education to run short courses, conference centres and communal office spaces to gradually turn Chamrousse into a place of business and economic activity.
- Move to 100% renewable energy. This has a huge environmental & economic impact as snow-making in the winter is the most energy intensive and expensive processes that the ski resort invests in.
- Creation of a new outdoor sports centre which encourages sports which you can undertake at all times of the year, rather than only relying on tourism from winter sports. This takes advantage of the new trend of ski resorts attracting more visitors in the summer and by extension making more money.
- Installation of a fibre optic cable network to make Chamrousse a hyper-connected smart-station.
- A new aquatic centre open year-round.
- Increase the number of hotels, apartment buildings, shops and restaurants all with a similar style of architecture which complements the natural surroundings whilst increasing the resorts capacity.
Beginning in the main village, Le Recoin, where €10 million has already been invested and set to extend to Chamrousse 1650, these bold plans ensure that it will be a place to visit at any time of the year, and for any reason.
Latest Resort News
On 1st July 2023 the Matterhorn Glacier Ride II will enter service
A long-cherished vision becomes reality: a connection between Zermatt and the Italian resort of Cervinia, unbroken and operational throughout the year, thanks to the Matterhorn Alpine Crossing. As of 1 July 2023, the Matterhorn Glacier Ride II will be the final piece of the puzzle, as the highest continuous Alpine crossing by cable car is completed.
Red Bull Hammers with Hommies final in Madonna di Campiglio.
Red Bull Hammers with Homies returns with the international final in Madonna di Campiglio. Crews from all over Europe will arrive at the spectacular Ursus Snowpark to compete for the victory hammer.
Garaventa builds one of Switzerland’s biggest chairlifts in Villars resort
The fourth 8-seater chairlift in Switzerland went into service at the beginning of December 2022 in the Villars-Gryon-Diablerets ski area. The new ropeway means a significant increase in capacity for the trip from Villars to Les Diablerets.